Current:Home > InvestThird Republican presidential debate to be held in Miami on Nov. 8 -MarketPoint
Third Republican presidential debate to be held in Miami on Nov. 8
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 20:04:00
The third Republican presidential debate will be held on Nov. 8 in Miami, with candidates facing the toughest requirements yet to qualify to take the stage.
Candidates will have to reach 4% in multiple polls, and they'll have to have 70,000 unique donors to earn a spot in the debate, the Republican National Committee said Friday. The Republican Party has not announce who the moderators will be.
The RNC made the announcement days before candidates are to meet for their second primary debate. Former President Donald Trump skipped the first debate and will be absent from the second one, too. Instead, he plans to meet with current and former union workers in Michigan, while the Sept. 27 debate takes place at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.
- The first Republican debate's biggest highlights: Revisit 7 key moments
The requirements for the third debate will be more challenging to meet than the second. For the second debate, candidates need at least 3% in two national polls or 3% in one national poll as well as two polls from four of the early-voting states — Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina, according to the RNC. The White House hopefuls must also have at least 50,000 unique donors.
The GOP hasn't confirmed the qualified participants for Wednesday's debate, but several campaigns have said they've satisfied the marks, including former Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, Sen. Tim Scott, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and former Vice President Mike Pence.
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson participated in the first debate, but their attendance for the second is uncertain.
The candidates are arranged on stage based on their order in polls that meet standards set by the RNC, with higher-performing candidates standing closer to center stage.
Scott, who was second from the right edge of the stage for the first GOP debate last month, has proposed the RNC change how it orders the candidates for next week's debate. In a letter to Chair Ronna McDaniel, Scott's campaign argued that, since Iowa's caucus is the leadoff to GOP balloting next year, "polling results from Iowa should be the primary consideration for podium placement at the September debate."
"The debate committee has had a very thoughtful approach to the entire process, and we continue to welcome input from all candidates, partners and stakeholders," RNC officials said of Scott's proposal. "We look forward to hosting another fair and transparent debate stage in Simi Valley."
- In:
- South Carolina
- Iowa
- Tim Scott
- Donald Trump
- Politics
- North Dakota
- Miami
- California
veryGood! (5467)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- This Los Angeles heist sounds like it came from a thriller novel. Thieves stole $30 million in cash
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Shares She’s Undergoing Cosmetic Surgery
- Election vendor hits Texas counties with surcharge for software behind voter registration systems
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Why Caitlin Clark and Iowa will beat Paige Bueckers and UConn in the Final Four
- Southern California hires Eric Musselman as men's basketball coach
- Bachelor Nation's Blake Moynes Made a Marriage Pact With This Love Is Blind Star
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- More than 1 in 8 people feel mistreated during childbirth, new study finds
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- White House Awards $20 Billion to Nation’s First ‘Green Bank’ Network
- Use these tips to help get a great photo of the solar eclipse with just your phone
- F1 star Guenther Steiner loves unemployed life, and his new role with F1 Miami Grand Prix
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Knicks forward Julius Randle to have season-ending shoulder surgery
- Small businesses apply for federal loans after Baltimore bridge collapse
- 2024 hurricane season forecast includes the highest number of hurricanes ever predicted
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Attention, Walmart shoppers: Retailer may owe you up to $500. Here's how to file a claim.
No, a judge didn’t void all of New York’s legalized marijuana laws. He struck down some
State Bar of Wisconsin agrees to change diversity definition in lawsuit settlement
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Powerball jackpot climbs to estimated $1.23 billion after no ticket wins grand prize of roughly $1.09 billion
How Amanda Bynes Spent Her 38th Birthday—And What's Next
Migrant border crossings dip in March, with U.S. officials crediting crackdown by Mexico